The Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan is an all-night beach bash that takes place on Haad Rin Beach on the night of every full moon. The first party was improvised at a wooden disco not far from the beach in 1985 for giving thanks to about 20-30 travelers.
The ritual gained fame quickly through word of mouth and the event now draws a crowd of approximately 20 000 revelers. It carries on until sun rise and become a part of the itinerary of many travelers to Asia.. All the bars on the sunset beach of Haad Rin town stay open and play music such as R&B, drum and bass, trance, house and reggae.
In recent years local entrepreneurs have attempted to expand upon the event with spin offs like the Half and Black Moon Party, but as with all big parties these days drugs started showing its ugly head more and more. The result was that the Thai authorities halted all other parties except for the full moon. During this time Koh Phangan resorts gets filled to the brim, so make sure you book your accommodation early. For your convenience we list the party dates below and also offer images to get you in the mood.
23 January 2016Christmas Party: Sunday 25 December 2016 New Year Party: Saturday 31 December 2016 New Year's Day After Party: Sunday 1 January 2017
23 February 2016
22 March 2016
21 April 2016
21 May 2016
19 June 2016
21 July 2016
18 August 2016
16 September 2016
16 October 2016
14 November 2016
14 December 2016
12 January 2017Christmas Party - Friday 25 December 2017 New Year Party: Thursday 31 December 2017 New Year's Day After Party: Friday 1 January 2018
12 February 2017
5 March 2017
11 April 2017
11 May 2017
9 June 2017
10 July 2017
7 August 2017
5 September 2017
6 October 2017
3 November 2017
3 December 2017
Tips to Full Moon Party
- Take a copy of your passport with you and keep your original passport in the resort’s secure safe.
- Do not bring bags and valuables to the party.
- Bring enough money for drinks, snacks and nothing else and keep it attached to yourself.
- Take the resort's contact details as well as that of your friends in case of emergency.
- Wear shoes to protect your feet from broken bottles.
- Take good care of your camera, you're not going to lose only the item but also memories of the good times.
- Keep away from DRUGS, no matter what anyone says. It is illegal and punishment can be harsh if you are caught
- Do not eat or drink anything that is offered by strangers.